ITE, in cooperation with AASHTO and ATSSA, is publishing FHWA’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), 2009 Edition.
Visit the MUTCD site for known errata.
The printed version includes a comprehensive, copyrighted index, high-quality print and color-matched graphics, layflat binding designed to withstand continued use and a three-hole drilled format that makes it easy to add specific sections to current binders.
The MUTCD is the national standard for all traffic control devices, including traffic signs, pavement markings, signals and any other devices used to regulate, warn, or guide traffic. Ensuring uniformity of traffic control devices across the nation--from their messages and placement to their sizes, shapes and colors--helps to reduce crashes and traffic congestion. This is the first comprehensive update to the manual since 2003.
New provisions in the MUTCD:
- Replacing highway signs with brighter, larger and more legible ones that are easier to understand at freeway speeds. States will begin using the newer signs as existing ones wear out.
- Adding different lane markings for lanes that do not continue beyond an intersection or interchange to give drivers more warning that they need to move out of the lane if they don’t intend to turn.
- Expanding the use of flashing yellow arrow signals at some intersections to give a clearer indication that drivers can turn left after yielding to any opposing traffic.
- Changing the formula used to calculate crosswalk times to give walkers more time.
- Identifying electronic toll collection lanes with purple signs – the first time purple has been sanctioned for use on highway signs.
- Adding overhead lane-use control signs to reduce confusion among drivers in unfamiliar multi-lane roadways.
The 2009 MUTCD replaces the 2003 Edition. The 2009 MUTCD is written by the Federal Highway Administration and is incorporated into federal regulations as the national standard for traffic control devices on all public roads and bike paths.
Fax/Mail Order Form
ISBN: ISBN - 978-1-56051-473-2
Publishing Date: 03/10